Five students representing Cagayan de Oro City recently won awards at the Sister Cities International Association (SCIA) 2022 Young Artists and Authors Showcase, a contest where young artists and authors could express their thoughts and artistry through music, essay, poetry, photography, digital art and classic art.
The winners from Cagayan de Oro are:
- Jahn Kharmelo Navales from Philippines Southfield School, grand prize winner under the Music Showcase; For winning the grand prize winner in the music category, Navales received $1,000;
Listen to his entry “Ever Changing 3” at https://sistercities.org/2022-yaas/yaas-winners/
- Mitzel Claire Chan from Oro Christian Grace School, 2nd place under the Essay (Authors) Showcase; Chan received $250;
Read her entry below entitled Water Flows, Life Follows.
- Carl Justin Tocle from Gusa Regional Science High School, 3rd place under the Photography Showcase; He received $100;
Below is Tocle’s entry entitled Hope Comes in Drops of Rain.
- Zsarlette Alanne Cabana from Xavier University Senior High School, 3rd place under the Digital Art Showcase; She received $100;
See her entry below.
- Zarlie Leoane Niez from Lumbia National High School, 3rd place under the Classic Art Showcase. She received $100.
See her entry below entitled Mother’s Thirst.
The SCIA Young Artists and Authors Showcase 2022, held in March 2022, was participated in by member cities of SCIA in the United States. Cagayan de Oro was sponsored by her sister city, Norfolk of Virginia, USA. A total of 194 high school students from both public and private schools joined the SCIA Young Artists and Authors Showcase 2022. The contest was anchored on the theme, ‘Generation Rescue: Sustainable Water for All.’
Cagayan de Oro submitted the artworks of 30 finalists, representing the six categories of the contest, namely: music, poetry, photography, digital art and classic art. Cagayan de Oro won five of six categories, winning the grand prize in the Music Showcase.
The awarding ceremony of the SCIA Young Artists and Authors Showcase 2022 was held online last August 12. The cash prizes were awarded to the winners on Friday, October 14, in the City Mayor’s Office, with the presence of ORO-TIPC head John Asuncion and consultant Eileen San Juan.
photos by CIO, sistercities.org