Five persons were arrested by police after they were caught participating in an illegal “online sabong” at Valenzuela Road, Agora, Lapasan, Cagayan de Oro City last Wednesday night, March 23, 2022. Authorities state their online betting was without authorization from concerned government agencies.
In his report to PNP-10 Regional Director PBGen Benjamin Acorda, Jr., Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (COCPO) City Director PCol. Aaron M. Mandia stated that police have received information of an ongoing illegal gambling at the said place and personnel from COCPO Police Station 3 Agora led by PLt Macario L Linog Jr, immediately conducted an investigation and caught the suspects in the act of participating in an ongoing illegal gambling using online sabong and physical betting of money. Five suspects were arrested while three other unidentified bettors were able to scamper and evade arrest when a mentally deranged person suddenly went wild and caused a commotion. The arrested suspects were identified as follows:
- xxxxxxxxxxx y Zapanta, 44 yrs old, single, jobless, a resident of Tagum, Davao City (Financier);
- xxxxxxxxxxx y Cruel, 18 yrs old, single, a resident of Surigao del Norte (Cashier);
- xxxxxxxxx y Maglente, 20 yrs old, single, a resident of Surigao del Norte (Cashier);
- xxxxxxxxxxx y Quintana, 27 yrs old, single, a resident of Surigao del Norte (Cashier);
- xxxxxxxxx, 19 yrs old, single, a resident of Surigao del Norte (Cashier);
Seized from the suspects as evidence were one (1) piece yellow ledger notebook containing betting records, betting money in different denominations amounting to Php 3,880.00, and one (1) Black Sharp 72-inch TV. Inventory of evidenced was witnessed by Kag. Mark Anthony Bustamante, of Brgy Lapasan and Mery Claire Baaclo of Magnum Radio. Suspects are now in PS3 Custodial Facility while awaiting charges pursuant to PD 1602.
Read more details below.