Local nursing groups in Northern Mindanao have asked the government to review the decision to postpone the licensure exam for nurses from May 30-31, 2021 to November 2021.
In a Facebook post, the letter addressed to President Rodrigo Roa Duterte from Gift Paguntalan, RN and Elivera Go, former PNA President, cited several reasons among others the almost 2 years of postponement and rescheduling of this exam wherein nursing graduates and their families are already drained in terms of their resources. The recent board exams for Medical Technologist and Pharmacy were conducted with multiple schedules, which can also be replicated with the Nursing Licensure Exam. Further, the group suggested multiple schedules, with different Examination Sets, in MGCQ areas, following the quarantine protocols and if necessary, takers will submit themselves for swabbing.
They also stated that if postponement is inevitable, they are appealing to make it closer to the original date of May 30-31, 2021, not on November 2021 because it will gather more takers and create a larger scale group.
With the government’s plan to increase ICU capacity in hospitals, the need for health frontliners in which nurses are trained to do so will make this facility operational.
It can be recalled that the Professional Regulation Commission reset the May 2021 nursing board exam to November this year. Read advisory below.
Read the full text of the letter below (courtesy of Gift Paguntalan).
23 April 2021
President Rodrigo Roa Duterte
Republic of the Philippines
Thru: Hon. Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go
Senator for Committee on Health
Greetings of Peace!
Dear Tatay Digong and Kuya Bong Go, we are humbly asking for your help with regards to the PRC Res. No. 1350 (s.2021) postponement of the licensure exam for NURSES. that is supposed to be conducted this May 30-31, 2021. This Pandemic made no Country, State, and Leader prepared. We understand that as leaders you prioritize the health and welfare of our citizens above all other considerations. With our greatest respect we are praying that you would consider our request to ask the appropriate agency PRC, IATF and Board of Nursing to review this resolution, on the following grounds.
- The Nurses is one of the most important health care providers in the battle for Covid 19 pandemic. The increase of workload has affected the health of our nurses which made them susceptible to different illnesses and increase occupational fatality. The said situation greatly affects the number of our health care workers which affect the quality of health care services rendered in our health facility.
- For almost 2 years of postponement and rescheduling of this exam, our nursing graduates and their families are already drained in terms of their resources.
- The Malls, Churches, and Public places are already open for public activity for our economy to sustain, more so we need nurses for our health facility to function and sustain.
- We believed that there is a way in the observance of the integrity of the Board Examination by Asking the service of the NBI and PNP not needing the board of examiners to be quarantined in Luzon.
- Medical Technologist and Pharmacy board exam were conducted with multiple schedules, then we can do it with the Nursing Licensure Exam.
- With the Large-scale guidelines we can have multiple schedules, with different Examination Sets, in MGCQ areas, following the quarantine protocols and if necessary, our takers will submit theme selves for swabbing.
- If postponement is inevitable, we appeal to make it closer to the original date of May 30-31, 2021, not on November 2021 because it will gather more takers and create a larger scale group.
- The nursing board exam takers know, how to protect themselves because they are professionally trained to handle infectious patients, that includes covid clients.
- We are increasing our ICU capacity inline with this we need health frontlines that will make this facility operational in which nurses are trained to do so.
We are praying for your intervention because we know that thru you, we feel that we are valued professionals.
Maraming salamat po sa serbisyo, malsakit, at pag susumikap para sa ating bayan, hayaan niyo po, na kami naman ang maka tulong sa inyo at sa bayan.
Lubos na Gumagalang
Gift V. Paguntalan RN
Ms. Elivera “Bing” Go
Former PNA President
CC: Dr. Fedila B. Ansale, Dean CU-CON,ADPCN President Region X-CARAGA/ Dr. Mary Grace Paayas Dean XU-CON,/Dr. Gloria Cunanan, Dean LDCU-CON Past PNA President,/Dr. George Lim,PNA Gov. Region 10,/Dr. Naima D. Mala, Dean MSU-CON/Dean Clowe Jondenero MSU-IIT-CON,/Dean Elizabeth Alagar IMCC-CON/Dr. Richard Allan Soliven Dean CMU-CON,/Dean Melchora Serafin SIC-CON/Dr. Ramona Heidi Palad, Dean Emritus XU-CON/Elivera “Bing” Go PNA President/ Atty. Robert Closas RN Nurse Leader/Atty. Manuel M. Roa RN-Nurse Leader/Dr. Irene R. Mina PNA President Buk. Chapter,/Dr. Adriano Subaan DOH Regional Director