The Infrastructure and Utilities Development Committee of the Northern Mindanao Regional Development Council (RDC-X InfraCom) has endorsed the Master Plan for the Sustainable Urban Infrastructure Development in Metropolitan Cagayan de Oro (SUID Metro CDO) and its five pre-feasibility studies during its third quarter meeting last September 24, 2020 via video conferencing.
The Master Plan will guide decision-makers in the approval of programs/projects/activities for implementation consistent with Metro Cagayan de Oro becoming the fourth metropolitan center by 2025 based on projected population growth and role as a major gateway and transshipment hub in the region.
Metro Cagayan de Oro City will be composed of Cagayan de Oro and its surrounding localities which include El Salvador City and the municipalities of Claveria, Jasaan, Villanueva, Tagoloan, Opol, Alubijid, Laguindingan, Gitagum, Libertad, and Initao of Misamis Oriental, and Manolo Fortich of Bukidnon. The municipalities of Balingasag in Misamis Oriental, Baungon, Libona, Malitbog, Sumilao, and Talakag in Bukidnon are proposed to be added to comprise the Expanded Metro CDO.
Five pre-feasibility studies were prepared for Metro CDO as follows:
- Metro CDO Railway Project, (Laguindingan-Cagayan de Oro-Villanueva Section of the Mindanao Railway System)
- Metro CDO Transit-Oriented Development Housing Project
- Metro CDO Waste-to-Energy Project
- Metro CDO Cable Car System with Related Tourism Development Project; and
- Water Supply Improvement Project
Further, the said committee also endorsed six other development projects, namely:
- Proposed Steel Flyovers for Traffic Decongestion in Urban Areas in Cagayan de Oro City
- Proposed Construction of National Highway in Tubod and Baroy, Lanao del Norte
- Proposed Construction of Transient Building for the 10th Intelligence and Security Unit, Army Intelligence Regiment of the Philippine Army
- Port Zone Delineation of the Port of Medina, Misamis Oriental
- Passenger e-Tracer System for Locally Stranded Individuals and Returning Overseas Filipinos, and
- Integrated Government Philippines (iGovPhil)/Regional Government Network Project in Region X.
The said projects will be presented to the RDC-X Full Council Meeting on October 8, 2020 for subsequent endorsement to appropriate entities.
The Third Quarter 2020 meeting of the RDC-X InfraCom was presided by its Chairperson, Misamis Oriental Governor Yevgeny Vincente B. Emano and was attended by heads and representatives of its member regional line agencies, local government units, private sector representatives, and government-owned and controlled corporations. Also present were guests and resource persons from CENTUNION Engineering & General Contractor, CPRM Consultants Inc. and Transport and Traffic Planners, Inc., and Aboitiz Equity Ventures.