Violators of local ordinances in Cagayan de Oro City will now be issued Ordinance Violation Receipts (OVR). This after the City Council approved last Monday, August 19, City Ordinance No. 13671-2019 or the Implementing Rules and Regulations of Ordinance No. 12139-2011, which provides for procedural enforcement of various city ordinances by deputized COCPO personnel, barangay tanod, barangay health workers, and members of accredited non-government organizations.

Under the new ordinance, any person cited for a violation of any provision of an ordinance that imposes fines and penalties shall be issued an Ordinance Violation Receipt (OVR). Read below some salient points of the new ordinance.

  • Any apprehended person who wishes to contest the issuance of the Ordinance Violation Receipt, shall be advised at all times by the apprehending officer to lodge his/her protest before the City Legal Office, within 72 hours from the time of the apprehension.
  • The City Legal shall then endorse the same to the proper city board, committee, or office, as the case may be, which has jurisdiction of the said protest. Any complaint/protest lodged after the expiration of the said period shall not be entertained, the he added.
  • If a violator has no capacity to pay, the ordinance provides for a community service arrangement.
  • The offender may opt to render community service for at most 75 percent of the total administrative fine payable. For every hour community service, the offender shall be entitled to a reduction of Php 400.00.
  • Fines paid by violators who availed of the “No Contest Provision” shall be shared by the city government and the deputized agents.
  • Minors are exempted from the issuance of an OVR but shall be recorded as “child at risk” if their violation of the ordinance shall be brought to the attention of any barangay official until they are released under the guardian of their nearest relative.
  • If the guardians or nearest relatives refuse to take custody, the minors may be released to an organization, a barangay official, or a city Social Services and Development Department officer, or any appropriate agency.

Facebook Comments