President Rodrigo Duterte last night, August 3, 2017 signed the Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act, which provides free tuition for college students in all state universities and colleges (SUCs) in the country.
In Northern Mindanao, the government will subsidize tertiary education in the following SUCs:
- Bukidnon State University (BSU) – Malaybalay City, Bukidnon
- Camiguin Polytechnic State College (CPSC) – Mambajao, Camiguin
- Central Mindanao University (CMU) – Maramag, Bukidnon
- Mindanao State University – Iligan Institute of Technology (MSU-IIT) – Iligan City
- Mindanao State University – Naawan (MSU) – Naawan, Misamis Oriental
- Northwestern Mindanao State College of Science and Technology (NMSC) – Tangub City
- University of Science and Technology of Southern Philippines (USTP) – Cagayan de Oro City
USTP now includes the former Misamis Oriental State College of Agriculture and Technology (MOSCAT) based in Claveria, Misamis Oriental.
With this development, expect a lot of college student transferees to SUCs.