NorMin in heightened alert after Davao blast


photo by Cocpo Psthree Pcr

Police in Northern Mindanao particularly in urban centers of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan are now in heightened full alert following a terror attack in Davao City Friday night which left 14 people dead and more than 67 wounded. Terrorist group Abu Sayyaf has so far claimed responsibility for the blast (LINK).

After President Rodrigo Duterte’s declaration of a State of Lawlessness (LINK), PNP Regional Director Chief Supt. Noel Constantino ordered the immediate placement of PNP checkpoints in all key areas and entrance and exit points within Northern Mindanao (LINK).

Meanwhile, Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno released a statement condemning the bombing incident. Read it below.

Republic of the Philippines
City of Cagayan de Oro

on the Deadly Blasts in Davao City

Mayor Oscar S. Moreno condemns to the highest degree the bombing in Davao City that transpired last night killing at least 14 and leaving over 70 people injured.

The people of Cagayan de Oro condoles with the victims and their families and hopes to appease the pain that they are going through now and we also pray for the injured that they will recover soon from this very condemnable and vicious act of violence.

On the declaration of the “state of lawlessness” by President Digong Duterte, Mayor Oscar S. Moreno notes that the President of the Republic of the Philippines, as the Commander-in-Chief, has the Constitutional basis in calling out the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police to prevent and suppress all forms of lawless violence. But he further notes that the Constitutional guarantees will have to be respected still.

He had already called for heightened security arrangements in his effort to protect the people not only of Cagayan de Oro City but the entire Mindanao as well. The City Government of Cagayan de Oro is closely coordinating with the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) and all law enforcement agencies in order to put in place security measures. Mayor Moreno is appealing for the community’s active participation in keeping our city and its beloved people safe and secure.

“Many Kagay-anons are in Davao, and many Davaoenos are in CDO. We are equally affected”, Moreno said.

Furthermore, Mayor Moreno hopes the people will support the government’s war on lawless violence and the evils of the drug problem to protect not only today’s generation but also the future generation.

Approved for release : MCR / 3 Sept 2016

Share this post:

Related Posts

One Comment

  1. S&R shopper says:

    Be vigilant and stay safe everyone.

Leave a Reply