With the success in improving the city-run JR Borja General Hospital, Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar S. Moreno disclosed plans to build two (2) more city hospitals, one in each district. He revealed this during the City’s 66th Charter Day celebrations held at the Kiosk in Divisoria where he delivered his term report.
Considering the high costs in building and running a hospital, Moreno stated that they would start with a 20-bed capacity.
The report highlighted his administration’s 3-year accomplishments of his eight-point agenda dubbed “Peace and Order Poverty Alleviation, Revenue Generation, Infrastructure, Metropolization, Education and Environment, Health and Hospital Services, Agricultural Productivity, and Traffic, Transportation and Tourism” (PRIMEHEAT) summarized as follows:
Social Services, Peace and Order
- Increased honorarium of 182 Child Development Teachers from P2,400 to P5,000
- Created the Oro Youth Development Council that covered six sectoral groups
- Provided educational assistance to 113 poor tertiary students and 200 Indigenous People (IP) students
- Involved 2,956 out-of-school youths (OSYs) in community organizing
- Registered 1,242 persons with disabilities (PWDs) and 31,936 senior citizens with identification cards (IDs).
- 28,800 applicants hired or employed in the 28 job fairs conducted from July 2013 to May 2016
- Decline of total crime volume by 30%
- Police crime solving efficiency improved from 12% to nearly 16%
Revenue and Infrastructure
- Annual revenues increase by an average of 14% over the last three years
- Number of business permits issued grew from 17, 823 in 2011 to 21,359 in 2014
- 33 kilometers of roads paved with concrete
- 441 new classrooms in six public elementary and secondary schools were built turning the overall classroom to student ratio from 1:90 to 1:45
- Complete transformation of the JR Borja General Hospital with renovation of the existing third floor, south wing building and addition of 66 beds for various wards
- With the hospital’s new facilities and affordable service , the number of patients served in the hospital increased from 92.5% in 2013 to 160% in 2014 based on the bed occupancy rates.
- Creation of Shelter and Housing Development Multisectoral Task Force, provision of water supply, electricity, road access and canal improvements to Piso-Piso areas
- Completion of some 3,097 housing units in Barangays Pagatpat and Balubal in partnership with Habitat for Humanity and Gawad Kalinga
Agriculture and Tourism
- An average of 2,187 farmers every year received technology transfer training and received 13,602 fruit tree seedlings
- Established 12 food terminals in 12 barangays
- Implemented tilapia fingerlings dispersal (150,000 fingerlings in 2014 and half a million fingerlings in 2015) along the Cagayan de Oro and Iponan Rivers
- Driving out illegal and undisciplined vendors occupying the streets and sidewalks, and creating the ‘Operation Hapsay Dalan
- Tourist arrivals in 2015 reached 655,176 surpassing 2012 tourist arrival of 541,196
Read PIA article HERE.
photos by CIO