This is the continuation (second part) of our YEARENDER 2013….starting with one of the best news for the year.
17. Cagayan de Oro is Most Competitive City in the Country – Perhaps the best news for 2013…According to the National Competitiveness Council (NCC), Cagayan de Oro is the Philippines’ most competitive city in 2012 based on the survey released in July 2013. LINK… see the presentation HERE.
18. Green Buildings – with the much publicized Primavera Residences and Limketkai Luxe Hotel, the first LEED Hotel Building, green buildings sprouted in the city. CEPALCO’s Administrative Green Building along Masterson Avenue topped off last August 2013 while Pioneer House-CDO broke ground in late 2013 for its green building along Apolinar Velez Street.
19. Higalaay – Kagay-an Festival 2013 – a month after the fateful incident at Rosario Strip, the city showed its resiliency with the pushing thru of the Higalaay – Kagay-an Festival 2013 during the fiesta activities.
20. Gaisano Puerto – after establishing its presence in Bulua in 2012, Gaisano started its construction of its Puerto branch.
21. Ororama Cogon Expansion – an expanded Ororama Supercenter (Cogon) welcomed Kagay-anons in late 2013.
22. J.Co’s and Krispy Kreme openings – two of the most anticipated openings in 2013 are the popular donut brands in the country today. J.Co Donuts and Coffee, opened in May 2013 while Krispy Kreme followed in November 2013.
23. Centrio Tower – foundation works for Cagayan de Oro’s first high rise condominium project began in early 2013. Vertical construction is expected to go full blast in 2014 as Avida’s first foray into the city is already sold out.
24. Hapsay Administration Takes Over – Oscar Moreno had a resounding win in the recent elections and made a historical oath-taking at the City Kiosk.
25. Gaston Park Redevelopment – The new city government started to redevelop the historic Gaston Park.
26. Hapsay – the by-word synonymous with the Moreno Administration which has become a battle cry for the solution to the city’s traffic and and governance.
27. Traffic Signalization and CCTV Project – in 2013, the much awaited project was implemented … although we still await for its completion.
28. New Red Cross and Blood Bank Building – ground breaking of the new and much modern building was made in July 2013 with no less than Red Cross Chairman Richard Gordon in attendance.
29. New Bank Openings – Banks continue to open branches in Cagayan de Oro indicating the region’s booming economy. Security Bank, Metro Bank, Asia United Bank, UCPB Savings Bank, BPI Family Savings Bank, Palm Tree Bank, and China Bank opened new branches in 2013.
30. New Restaurants – Kenny Rogers Roasters Limketkai and Laguindingan, Seattle’s Best Coffee Laguindingan, Happy Lemon, Pepper Lunch, Misto at Seda Hotel, and fully renovated McDonald’s Limketkai and Divisoria, Chowking Limketkai, and many more…the food business in CDO was booming.
31. Adventure Tourism – the city continued as a major jump off point for several adventure destinations. Ultra Winds Mountain Resort (Pualas) replaced Charley’s Peak. Dahilayan Adventure Park in Manolo Fortich opened its Python Zipride and Canopy Glider.