As the year comes to an end, let us go back to 2013 and review the various developments in Cagayan de Oro City and Misamis Oriental as posted in CDODev.com.
1. Opening of Laguindingan Airport last June 15, 2013 (LINK). The opening was long overdue but unfortunately, opened without the navigational facilities. A much more modern airport terminal in Northern Mindanao opened to full capacity which necessitates immediate expansion. Due to absence of such navi-aids, flights are compressed during the day. However, in line with the opening, various economic developments followed – airport transfer shuttle operators, highway widening, opening of Seattle’s Best Coffee and many others.
2. Limketkai Center Developments – It was a banner year for Cagayan de Oro City’s homegrown commercial complex. The year marked milestone openings of Krispy Kreme Drive Thru, Shopwise, Indoor Automated Carpark Building, new Robinsons Supermarket, new Robinsons Department Store, fully renovated McDonald’s Drive-Thru, Gateway Park with the 1st Shakey’s Legacy Store, The Green Lane…and this year, we finally knew the official name of its hotel – Limketkai Luxe Hotel.
3. Rustan’s Fresh opens at Centrio – Rustan’s largest supermarket opened in Cagayan de Oro on May 17, 2013 (LINK). It was Rustan’s first presence in Mindanao indicating its confidence in the Northern Mindanao market. Rustan’s Group likewise opened a Wellcome Supermarket at Gran Europa in Lumbia, Cagayan de Oro City.
4. Tune Hotel – perhaps the first international brand hotel chain in Cagayan de Oro opened last July 19, 2013.
5. Robinsons – The Gokongwei group further expanded its presence in Cagayan de Oro with opening of Robinsons Department Stores in Centrio and Limketkai Mall.
6. The Loop Launched last July 27, 2013 – Villar’s Vista Land Inc. together with the Limketkai Group officially launched The Loop, a twin 25-storey condominium project which will rise at Limketkai Center, the Villar group’s first residential high rise project outside Mega Manila.
7. Avida Towers Aspira Launched November 15, 2013 – Ayala Land’s second high rise condominium project was launched in November. The 27-storey Tower 1 will have 636 units composed of fifteen (15) 3-bedroom and 1-bedroom bi-level units on the topmost floors. Tower 2 will have 31 storeys.
8. One Oasis Cagayan de Oro – Filinvest’s first project in Cagayan de Oro is a mid-rise residential complex. Groundbreaking was held last November 19, 2013.
9. Puregold – Puregold’s flagship store in Cagayan de Oro opened just recently.
10. SM 2 – It was finally confirmed this year that SM will build its 2nd mall in Cagayan de Oro at the old bottling facility of Coca Cola. The mall is said to be a Premiere.
11. Primavera Residences Tower B – the 2nd tower of the eco-friendly condominium project of Italpinas began in early 2013.
12. JR Borja Bridge – We finally saw the rendering of the bridge and construction was in full swing this year.
13. MUST Developments – The only state university in Cagayan de Oro continued its massive infrastructure development with the Engineering and Architecture Complex now a landmark along CM Recto Avenue.
14. Other condo developments – condominium developments mushroomed in Cagayan de Oro. Smart Condominium along Masterson Avenue in uptown area and Global CDO Residences were among the notable condo projects which broke ground in 2013.
15. Other hotel developments – hotel business in Cagayan de Oro was booming as ever in 2013. Rich Manor opened in May while two others are under construction – Hotel G Galyx and Hotel Centro are set to open next year.
16. Lifestyle District – the newest night spot in Cagayan de Oro opened in August 2013 and has been getting positive response from customers and night owls.
Overall, 2013 was a big rebound for the city and the promise is even better in 2014.