For the first time in the fiesta of Cagayan de Oro City, giant icons called Higalas paraded through the city streets.
Accordingly, the Higalas was patterned after the parade of the gegants (giants) during the Festa de la Merce in Barcelona, Spain. A visual artist, Errol Balcos was commissioned by the city to build the giant higalas for the fiesta.
The icons are as follows:
1. Higaonon – early inhabitants (male and female).
2. Fray Agustin de San Pedro – El Padre Capitan
3. Saint Augustine – Patron Saint
4. Saint Monica – Mother of the Patron Saint
5. Birhen sa Kota – Inahan sa Kalinaw ug Kinaiyahan
6. Tirso Neri – Developed Plaza Divisoria
7. Col. Apolinar Velez – Philippine-American War Hero
8. Arch. Santiago Hayes SJ – First Archbishop
9. Ronaldo Tiano – World War II Hero
10. Nestor Tiano – World War II Hero
11. Apollo Tiano – World War II Hero
12. Emmanuel Pelaez – Author of the City Charter
13. Maximo Suniel – First City Mayor
14. Farmer – Steward of the earth’s bounty
15. Fisher – Blessings from the sea
16. Whitewater Rafter – Eco-Tourism High