People’s champ and reigning WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao (54-2-2, 38 KOs) lost a highly controversial twelve round split decision against unbeaten WBO jr welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (29-0, 12 KOs) ysterday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Nevada.
Pacman landed some good straight lefts early on. Bradley worked hard but landed at a low percentage. Manny’s superior firepower continued to dominate while Bradley’s punches had little effect. Bradley was willing to trade, often to his detriment. There were no knockdowns in the bout.
Everyone was convinced Pacquiao won the fight…even Bradley himself tought so…and so did ring announcer Michael Buffer, who was stunned for a moment upon reading the judges’ scorecards just before he made the announcement.
Scoring Summary Analysis: SOURCE
- In only 6 of the 12 rounds, did all 3 judges agree on the winner of the round (rounds 3,4,6,7,10,12)
- There was disagreement on the part of the judges in 50% of the rounds (rounds 1,2,5,8,9 & 11)
- Judge C.J. Ross was the only judge during the fight who was never the “lone wolf” in scoring each round (i.e. score agreed with at least one of the other judges)
- Judge Ford was the “lone wolf” in 4 of the rounds (rounds 1,2,9 &11)
- Judge Roth was the “lone wolf” in 2 of the rounds (rounds 5 & 8)
- All 3 judges had Pacquiao ahead 39-37 after 4 rounds
- 2 of the judges (Ford & Ross) had the fight dead even after 8 rounds (76-76)
- All 3 judges scored 3 of the last 4 rounds for Bradley
Below is the final compubox stats.
Jerry Roth is the only judge who scored the fight in favor of the People’s Champ, 115-113. Both CJ Ross and Duane Ford scored it 115-113 in favor of Bradley.
Here the unofficial scores from other sports networks:
Fox Sports: 119-100 for Pacquiao
LA Times: 117-111 for Pacquiao
Guardian UK: 117-111 for Pacquiao
ESPN: 119 – 109 for Pacquiao
Compubox: Pacquiao outlanded Bradley 253-159 in total punches. Manny landed more punches in 10 of 12 rounds.
A November 10, 2012 rematch is now being worked….