The declaration of Pueblo de Oro in Cagayan de Oro as the first IT Park in Mindanao paved the way for the start of the Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) industry in the city. BPO companies operating in the city are into Call Center, Telemarketing and Medical transcription
Major BPO requirements considered by these companies in locating in the city were the following:
- Presence of PEZA-registered IT parks and buildings
- A good pool of English speaking youth and professionals.
- Availability of ICT Infrastructure (telecommunications etc.)
- Urban amenities and facilities
- Low cost of doing business
- Local Government incentives and support
- Availability and continuous supply of power
- Good climate and calamity-free area
The BPO industry can very well thrive in Cagayan de Oro primarily because of the abundance of HUMAN CAPITAL. Being the Center of Excellence for Education and presence of training institutions in Mindanao it can provide a continuous supply of workers to sustain a BPO company’s operation. Its geographical location poses an additional advantage in relation to its proximity and accessibility to other key cities and provinces in Mindanao (Iligan City, Ozamis City, Zamboanga City, Butuan City, Davao City, Cotabato City) which has a very young population, thus it can generate and ensure a continuous supply of highly educated and trainable human resource.
Download the full report HERE.
article taken from Pueblo de Oro website.