A total grant of Php655.96M have been released to 88,174 beneficiaries of the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4P’s) in Northern Mindanao, as of Nov. 2010.

This number represents 28 percent of the 307,315 total beneficiaries of the 4P’s in the region, Atty. Araceli F. Solamillo, Regional Director of the Dept. of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), region 10, said.She said the program has already covered 43 towns or 50.58 percent of the region’s 85 towns and three cities or 37.5 percent of its eight (8) cities.Meanwhile, she said Php30.74M or 4.68 percent of the total grant have been downloaded to the Cagayan de Oro City Government for its 7,606 beneficiaries, as of the period.Of this amount, however, only in 17.25M or 56.14 percent have been released, thereby, leaving a balance of Php13.49M or 43.86 percent.She said there are now seven (7) barangays covered by the 4P’s program in the city, namely: Lapasan, Puntod, Macabalan, Consolacion, Carmen, Bugo and Camaman-an.A poverty reduction and social development strategy of the national government, 4P’s provides conditional c ash grants to extremely poor households to improve their health, nutrition and education, particularly, of children aged 0-14.Selection of beneficiaries was done through the Proxy-Means Test which determines the socio-economic category of the households through checking out certain proxy variables like ownership of assets, educational attainment of household head, type of housing, family’s livelihood and access to water and sanitation facilities.To meet the program objectives, a set of conditions is created for compliance of the beneficiaries, such as: Pregnant women should get pre-natal care and must be attended by skilled health professional during childbirth.Parents or guardians must attend responsible parenthood sessions, mother’s classes and parent effectiveness seminars and children 0-5 years of age should get regular preventive health check-ups and vaccines, those aged 3-5 years must attend day care/preschool classes at least 85 percent of the time and those aged 6-14 receive de-worming pills twice a year.Eligible households shall receive Php6,000 per year or Php500 per month per household for health and nutrition expenses and Php3,000 per year or Php300 per month per child for 10 months a year, to a maximum of 3 children per household for educational expenses.Solamillo said the cash grant is given to the most responsible adult in the household through the Land Bank of the Philippines (LBP) Cash Card or over the counter (OTC) payout. (Rutchie Cabahug-Aguhob-PIA 10)

Facebook Comments