The P25-million three-storey new building of the Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School (MOGCHS), dubbed as Mindanao’s biggest secondary school and one of the country’s oldest educational institutions, is nearing completion.
Construction (with a multi-purpose covered rooftop) is now 90-percent complete and is expected to be completed next month and would eventually be turned over to the Department of Education’s Misamis Oriental Schools Division and to the MOGCHS administration before the opening of classes in June this year.
The new building will have 18 classrooms will help decongest the existing classrooms of MOGCHS which has a current population of 10,938 students, or an average classroom size of 65 students.
Misamis Oriental High School (MOHS) was established by the late Don Apolinar R. Velez, the first elected governor of the undivided Misamis in 1909. It was converted into MOGCHS in June 1965 yet renamed again into Misamis Oriental Provincial High School (MOPHS) five years later. When MOPHS was transferred to Balingasag municipality, the school assumed its former name, MOGCHS.
MOGCHS, which marked its centennial anniversary on December 15, 2009, occupies a 7.3629-hectare prime land within Cagayan de Oro City’s commercial district just beside the world-class facilities of the provincial government-managed Don Gregorio Pelaez Sports Center and Department of Education’s regional office for Northern Mindanao.
with article by Uriel C. Quilinguing/Misamis Oriental Provincial Press Office