Bellevue Hotel In Alabang

THE BELLEVUE Group of Hotels, Inc. has so far enjoyed better business this year than in 2009 despite recent incidents that could have driven away tourists, an official said late last week.

Sales of and occupancy at its flagship hotel, Bellevue Manila, for 2010 as of early November have topped year-ago levels despite the hostage crisis in August that left eight Hong Kong tourists dead and the more recent reports of a terror threat, the company’s revenue manager Annie Bisuna said.

The US State Department issued on Nov. 2 a statement warning Americans of terrorist attacks “not only in the Southern islands but also in other areas, to include Manila.”

“Year-to-date, given the two incidents, 2010 fared better than 2009 in terms of both revenue and occupancy,” Ms. Bisuna said.

“November and the first two weeks of December are good months for the hotel industry. December would also be the month where our most balikbayan would visit the Philippines and spend their holidays,” Ms. Bisuna said.

Earlier, the company opened its second hotel also in Alabang to cater to budget travelers. The 11-storey B Hotel took around P500 million to construct.

The company is planning to expand to Bohol, El Nido in Palawan and Cagayan de Oro within the next three years.

Several other hotel industry players were similarly upbeat that they would still post growth this year despite the hostage crisis in August.

Full-year sales, they said, were expected to hold up as the incident was likely only to have a short-term impact. 

article by Jessica Anne D. Hermosa  of Business World

Facebook Comments