Twelve (12) campus journalists from different school divisions in Northern Mindanao reaped awards during the National Schools Press Conference (NSPC) in Tagum City, Davao del Norte that was held on February 22 to 26 this year.
Those who excelled in their respective categories are:
- Jasper James Budiongan of Manuel Lugod Elementary School, Gingoog City, first place, editorial writing (Filipino);
- Elbert Sanaga of Medina National Comprehensive High School, Medina, first place in editorial cartooning (English);
- June Ralph Naling of Salawagan Central School, Quezon, Bukidnon, first place in editorial cartooning (English);
- Johnny D. Pabillore of Yumbing National High School, Camiguin, second place in sports writing (English);
- Bern Erick Quinol of Vicente N. Chaves Memorial Central School, Villanueva, second place in sports writing (English);
- Janelle Hyleni Paulma of Regional Science High School, Cagayan de Oro, 3rd place in photojournalism (English);
- Remar Muriera Daya of Tagoloan National High School, Tagoloan, fourth place in editorial cartooning (Filipino);
- Leopoldo Gillamac of St. Michael’s Grade School, Tangub City, fifth place in editorial writing (English);
- Marianne Pearl Dael of Jasaan National High School, Jasaan, sixth place in copy reading and headline writing (Filipino);
- Vernie Glojun Lasmarras, Opol National Secondary Technical School, Opol, sixth place in news writing (English);
- Jonalyn R. Ebarle of Fatima College of Camiguin, Camiguin, sixth place in sports writing (Filipino); and
- Lendon Lasan of Natumulan Elementary School, Tagoloan, seventh place in editorial cartooning (Filipino).
The winners boosted Northern Mindanao’s sixth and seventh place overall rankings, among 17 regions in the country, for this year’s NSPC.
Northern Mindanao garnered a total of 12 national awards in individual contests and three in group competitions.
In group contests, Region 10 also bagged three awards, namely; La Salle University-Integrated School of Ozamiz City, first place, news presenter in radio broadcasting (Filipino), West City Central School of Cagayan de Oro, 2nd place best technical application for radio broadcasting (English), and The Breezette of San Roque, Clarin, Misamis Occidental, 6th place in best in editorial page (English).
All the winners, having gone through the division and regional competitions, received plaques of recognition and certificates during the awarding ceremonies.