Homegrown talent Maclean Sabellina who is a product of the STI College Cagayan de Oro basketball team is the next big star of the STI College Olympians in the current 9th Season of the National Athletic Association of Schools Colleges and Universities (NAASCU). The six foot four forward leads 5 other players from Cagayan de Oro recruited to play for STI College in Manila.
The six (6) players from Cagayan de Oro are:
- MACLEAN SABELLINA 6’4 Power Forward. He is the first STIer from the provinces to be recruited. Playing an instrumental role with the STI College CDO team this Olympian has sound fundamentals and as he bulks up his body in the next few years he can be regarded as the future of STI Basketball.
- NORMAN IHALAS 5’11 Off Guard, 20 years old. The most veteran of the group, he was suppose to play for the Olympians last school year but unfortunately because of personal reasons went back to CDO and played for his HS Alma Mater, Pilgrim Christian College.
- BRYAN DAGUPLO 6’2 Small Forward, 20 Years old. Strong and agile slasher type of player. Another recruit from PCC.
- MICHAEL DAANOY 6’2 Small Forward, 20 Years old. Strong ang agile and can be dependable on defense. This PCC pick up is has good basketball sense and can be one of the chief gunners when given the chance.
- RAFFY WAMINAL 6’3 Power Forward 19 years old – Lean and Mean and ready to be a fighting machine also from PCC. Still raw but the seasoning that he will get this school year will help him become a good post defender and option once he gets the feel of the game here in manila.
- PAUL SABACAHAN 6’0 Off Guard, 16 Years Old. from Corpus Christi High School, He is the youngest in the team but will definitely not let everyone bully him around. The first Olympian recruited out of High School. Watch out, in the next two years he will be teaming up with others to bring the Olympians to greater heights.
The member schools of the NAASCU include University of Manila, University of Makati, AMA Computer University, Centro Escolar University, Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Pasay, Our Lady of Fatima University, New Era University, San Sebastian College de Cavite, St. Clare College, Informatics International College, Lyceum of Subic Bay and STI College.
Two (2) products of NAASCU played for the Misamis Oriental Meteors in the last Liga Pilipinas Conference 2 which they became eventual champions. They are Mark Yee (SSC-Cavite), and 2007 NAASCU MVP Dexter Micutuan (STI College). Who knows, some of the six players might end up playing for the Meteors in the future.
with portions from http://stiolympians.multiply.com